Friday 22 September 2017

Assessment Folders Went Home Today

Today I sent the Assessment folders home with a reading quiz and a small math quiz that we did last week. I will be sending the assessment folder home every few weeks. Please look over your child's items and sign each page so I know you have seen them.

I send these home every week so that parents can see their child's progress every few weeks. If you have any questions about a test, quiz or other assignment, please write a note in your child's agenda or give me a call and I can explain.

For the first few weeks, please do not be surprised if you see marks that are lower than what you are used to seeing your child achieve. These reading and math assessments are directly from EQAO, which is the test we do at the end of the year. This is the first time students have done EQAO in three years, and so they may not be prepared for the depth of information they need to put into their responses to get a level 4. In my experience, most kids have the right answers in the reading assessments, but very often they have difficulty understanding how to explain their thinking using proof and their own ideas. This is a skill we work on all year long, and I know they will get better. I am certain you will see progress in your child's marks just in the next few weeks as they better understand what to include in a quality answer.

Here are the exemplars of what a level 1,2,3 and 4 look like for the reading quiz we did last week and that is in the assessment folder. We looked over these in class and I had the kids self assess their own work before I marked it. For the most part, students are quite accurate in their self assessment when we use this approach.

Rubber Duck Exemplars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.